Saturday, February 04, 2006

Inefficient Service...

Drives me nuts! I tell you, those of you who are in S'pore, please please PLEASE be grateful for the fast-paced life you have there because at least you have greater efficiency than here in Provo. So why my sudden outburst against the Provo sloooooow system?
I went to the post office today to renew my passport (don't ask me why they put the passport renewal office in the post office. Beats me!). As usual, Sis Dalebout (Billy's mom) had to drive me because you can't go anywhere in Provo without a car (But the story of such inconveniance is another post...). Anyway, that's not the inefficient part.
We got there at 4pm and guess what? It was closed! Not the post office but the department to renew passprts. Hello???!!! 4pm and you are closed? Now I'm not sure what time the S'pore passport renewal office closes but I'm pretty sure it's AFTER 4pm. So I've come to the conclusion that S'pore's next slogan (when they change it again from the terrible current "Uniquely Singapore") shall be "Singapore- the City that Never Sleeps". No offense to Clarissa or all the other Citibank people.
Maybe if they change the slogan and come up with a better one, more tourist would be attracted to go there. Even I think "Malaysia- Truly Asia" is so corny but sounds so much better than the bland "Uniquely Singapore". But my all time favourite and my very own creation is "Singapore Spice". But that's also another post.
Back to the topic- So 4pm, and there's a closed passport renewal office. Sis Dalebout decided to go up to a lady at the counter doing mail stuff and ask her if she could get me a form to fill up so that we could come back tomorrow with everything prepared. The lady said, "Just give me a while and I'll pass it to you." Then she turned back to do her stuff. 1) Why couldn't she just give us the form before turining back to do her stuff? I mean, giving us the form only takes what, 3 seconds? And 2) Why don't they just have a few copies of the form lying somewhere so that unfortunate people (like me) can simply just take one and fill it up, without having to trouble the people at the counters? Nevermind.
So the lady did her stuff and we were forced to queue up to speak with someone else at another counter. We stood there for like, what? Forever minutes? Anyway, there were two counters and still the line CRAWLED. And by the time it came to our turn, we asked the guy at the counter for the form and he promptly handed it to us and that was it. The end of our transaction, which only took 3 seconds. So we queued up like, forever, for a service that only took 3 seconds. Great! And to top it off, when we were just about to walk out of the front door, the lady that we spoke to previously came out of her office and asked for us, because now she had the form. *Slap my forehead* I tell you, I'm not angered by the inefficiency. I'm just plain irritated and amused (right now, not during the whole time at the post office).
Oh no, it's not the inefficiency that is making me angry. It's only driving me nuts. What is really making me angry is the FEE to pay for the passpart renewal. It's going to cost a whole freaking US$97 (*gasp*) and I'M PAYING FOR IT. Nope, fat hope my parents are going to pay for it. Well, at least I won't have to renew my passport for 10 years.
Provo service can be quick, like in the mall. And the friendliness of the service is of course, 10 times better than that of Singapore. Singapore has terrible one-to-one service compared to the States. But Singapore has effiency and speed that Provo will never beat.
No offence Christina, but if Provo is already so slow, I really wonder how you "ta-han" the slow inefficient Hawaiin system! I guess I'm just too used to such speed and I'm a very impatiant person...

6 Comments:

At 2/04/2006 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where singapore's immigration place closes at 4.30p.m.- so not much of a difference i guess :D aiyoh. i tell u ah- u havent experienced FRENCH admin yet so dont complain! (we asians are really more efficient when we're not riddled with corruption) i think american efficiency are better in the big cities hor~ in hawaii, i think time CRAWLS instead! hahaha

 
At 2/04/2006 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and i can link u now right? haha easier of me to access whenever i read my own blog

 
At 2/04/2006 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*easier for me i mean :):):)

 
At 2/04/2006 2:01 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

ha ha! yes, can link now. permission granted. But make sure u DON'T me under some weird name like Charlotte's ah... Funkee would be nice, or Keesh or Miss Kee or Miss Funkee or Miss Keesh. Ha ha ha!

 
At 2/04/2006 2:11 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

Hey anyone knows how to edit the links so dat I can link ur blogs to my web-page? I try and try still cannnot. Help!

 
At 2/05/2006 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i know how to link! i did it b4!! (and i took a MILLION years to figure it out!) let me go look at my old blogspot page- then i email u k! i need to go for lecture now =_=

 

Post a Comment

<< Home