Thursday, August 24, 2006

Work this week...

Has just been

HELL.

I love working Education Week because work is so challenging and exhilerating and being so busy is 10x better than having nothing to do. However, as much as I love working for Education Week, it's been exhuasting and sometimes frustrating as well.

I thought Women's Conference was bad. Nope.
I've been working shifts that start at 10.15am and last all the way to 7.30pm. Excluding a 1/2 hour lunch break, I worked about 9 hours each day on Tuesday and Thursday. And I think I'm going to go full force again tomorrow.

And it drives me crazy when the old ladies dig their purses for loose change ("What? 64 cents? Ok, here's one cent, another cent...") when the line is already at the max and still growing.
Or worse, they queue up for so long and when they finally reach us to place their orders, they go, "Uh, I haven't thought about what I want to get..." Hello?! You've been in the line for over 10 mins and you still don't know what to get? What were you doing the whole time you were lining up?
Some of them are really quite sweet though. Nice customers really make the job easier.

Now nasty customers- I feel like screaming at them. One of them made me cry after he scolded me today when it was not my fault or the fault of my co-workers. You see, he came at around 6.30pm and ordered a chicken bowl, all white meat with noodles.
Now, the portion for noodles is not as much as rice since we can't pack the noodles (unlike rice where you can "mash" it in...), and we are only allowed to give like, a scoop of chicken.
But when we served him the bowl, he started making a fuss about paying so much for so little food, and went on complaining and complaining... and he wanted to add vegetables. The people on line were already trying to keep up with the orders, but I was still forced to give the bowl back to them, tell them to add a bit more meat ("illegally") and add vegetables to them. And worse, because we had to remake the bowl, we served other customers first and every time I passed the bowls to the other customers, he made a noise like he was SNEERING.
I was hurt that he was scolding me, I was exhausted having worked over 8 hours by then, my cash box was VERY uneven, the line was still growing, the new girl on line needed to clean up her attitude, and I still had yet to go home to pack and move a few boxes to my new apartment. Plus, as you all know, I've been getting homesick quite a bit recently.
I took a break, sat down and just started crying. Again. For like, the 3rd time this summer. Gee!

I'm so glad the last day is tomorrow. I really love working the nightmarish "rushes", but am I also relief that tomorrow is the last day of them!

And on the positive side, Teriyaki Stix has been doing really well in terms of sales for Education Week. We've broken our sales record, we TROUNCED Subway (bwa ha ha!) and our customers are served the 2nd fastest in the entire Cougareat.

Plus, working so many hours this week means that I'll be earning a lot of $$$ (yipee!) and that will give me enough money to pay for my textbooks and White Water Rafting trip next week!!!

5 Comments:

At 8/25/2006 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keshia, I'm sorry about you being home sick, that's no fun! As far as Education Week goes, I'm with you on that one. I worked at the Bookstore for 6 years and there wasn't a week that I dreaded more than Education Week. Those already overweight women, pushing and shoving in line for a bigger piece of fudge, or the ignorant customer who takes out his frustrations on the poor candy counter clerk who can't control the amount of fudge that is made or bought! Ugh. I'm glad it's not me and I wish it wasn't you! Lots of good money though! Hang in there--we love you!

 
At 8/25/2006 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keshia, I'm sorry about you being home sick, that's no fun! As far as Education Week goes, I'm with you on that one. I worked at the Bookstore for 6 years and there wasn't a week that I dreaded more than Education Week. Those already overweight women, pushing and shoving in line for a bigger piece of fudge, or the ignorant customer who takes out his frustrations on the poor candy counter clerk who can't control the amount of fudge that is made or bought! Ugh. I'm glad it's not me and I wish it wasn't you! Lots of good money though! Hang in there--we love you!

 
At 8/25/2006 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keshia, I'm sorry about you being home sick, that's no fun! As far as Education Week goes, I'm with you on that one. I worked at the Bookstore for 6 years and there wasn't a week that I dreaded more than Education Week. Those already overweight women, pushing and shoving in line for a bigger piece of fudge, or the ignorant customer who takes out his frustrations on the poor candy counter clerk who can't control the amount of fudge that is made or bought! Ugh. I'm glad it's not me and I wish it wasn't you! Lots of good money though! Hang in there--we love you!

 
At 8/25/2006 4:09 PM, Blogger joycey said...

Keesh, not only the customers taking their time, digging their precious pennies out from their purses, they have hearing problems too. I feel like I'm shouting against the music in the kitchen and the noise from the crowd! I never feel like I talk so loud in my whole life, hahaha! Anyway, I'm glad it's over for both of us! Hey, we'll have fun working together in fall semester serving younger people! yeah!

 
At 8/25/2006 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey chicka. dun be too upset over that customer. if he wans to be a *beep* he can jolly well be one. as long as u are doing ur job and its not ur fault, there is no reason to be upset over it. and i know u miss home alot. i cant really say much cos u must be feeling it more than i do. at least i get to come home. but dun worry. u have good frens there. so really dun tink too much okok? and im gg back soon. will go down and visit real soon. or u can come up too. well yea altho rexburg is pretty boring. hee..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home