Sunday, September 03, 2006

White Water Rafting (WWR) Trip

I am so tired but soooooo happy!

3 states (Utah, Idaho & Wyoming) in 2 days. WWR in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. What a road trip!
Eventful Day 1 (1 Sep) :
We started driving Friday afternoon (around 3.30pm)...
Car 1: Marcus, Bobby, Philip and I
Car 2: Su, Rendy, Angela and friend, Marsha
Car 3: Sean, Justin, Joyce and 2 Taiwanese friends (whom none of us knew before this trip)

And met a bad traffic jam. I think the jam lasted half-way from before Salt Lake all the way to Ogden. It was suppose to be about 1.5hrs (max) from Provo to Ogden, but it ended up taking us about 2hrs? Frustrating but after that, the journey went smoothly...

Until the car that Marcus drove took a wrong turn and ended up on another highway up to Idaho (Clarissa, instead of continuing on I-15, the car turned off to I-84 and we ended up heading to Twin Falls). So Marcus, Bobby, Philip and I drove an extra 75 miles, and I'm not joking when I say that there's NOTHING in Idaho. Just miles and miles of scorched grass. You know, like those you see in the movies where there's this lone road in the middle of nowhere... yeah, you get the idea. But that's ok as long as we knew how to get back...

Unfortunately, halfway through the extra 75 miles, I needed to pee EXTREMELY badly. And the gas tank indicator was going lower and lower and lower. Hence we stopped at a gas station in some ulu place and... did our "business" before driving back up.

When we caught up with the other cars, all of us stopped at Idaho Falls and had dinner. Then we drove to Rexburg and stopped to see BYU-Idaho. Too bad it was too dark and too COLD (already) by then to really walk around, but we did take a picture next to this huge float that came out of no where. (Clarissa, what the heck is with that float?)

Then we drove to Driggs and stayed overnight at a cabin. The drive there was super scary. It was dark, there were no other cars other than ours and all of us had never been there before. Su drove the last car and she said that behind them was pitch black. Scary...

However upon arriving (after about 7.5 hrs of driving...phew!), the cabin that Ashley's friend's family (kinda complicated) owned was quite nice. Electricity, nice furnished bathroom, very, er, interesting decorations (e.g. a HUGE Moose head), mattresses for the girls...

But of course, who sleeps on a road trip right? Or at least, which non-driver (minus Marcus of course) sleeps on a road trip? So me, Joyce, Justin, Philip, Bobby, Marcus and Rendy stayed up till 4AM to play, er, BRIDGE and DAI DEE. I didn't care for the dai dee (I can't believe I actually won one game! Ha ha!) but boy, I was suffering from bad Bridge withdrawals (and don't ever tell my dad). Anyway, we played till 4am...

And got up at 7.30am the same day.

Day 2 (Sep 2):

Very early, but we headed out by 8.40am and reached the WWR trip (@ Jackson Hole, Wyoming) an hour later. By the way, the drive was very scenic and beautiful.

We started WWR at 10am and went down the SNAKE RIVER. It was a bit disappointing, because it was a Category 3 WWR rapids, but to me, the rapids were a bit mild... next time we should go for a Cat 4 one. But oh my word- it was so so so fun! It was my first time and I had a great time. The guide was also a cool guy. It was so cool to paddle and there were a lot times that we just floated along the river and had a nice time relaxing on the river. The view from the river was just gorgeous. The water was FREEZING cold though. Brrr...

We went back and took nice quick HOT showers before we started heading back. We stopped at Afton to eat dinner and took a few pictures there (another town with nothing much there...). Then drive, drive, drive to Evanston (Which by the way is NOT the capital of Wyoming. Cheyenne is the capital. I loked up on Yahoo!) and stopped there to fill gas, then drive, drive, drive again (another movie scene with 1 lone dust road and miles of nothing... except sheep and cows) all the way back to...

Little World at Salt Lake City for dinner. Yummy!!! Joyce helped us order the dishes and they were sooooo good. Chicken, pork, squid, salted fish fried rice, tofu, rice, etc... It was heaven.

The more driving back to Provo, UT and apartment sweet apartment.

I got back, showered, checked my e-mails and then bam! I went to sleep and was out till Sunday morning.

Lessons learnt:
1) Don't be the only girl in a car full of boys on a road trip - you get bullied easily and no one listens to you even though you have the right directions
2)Idaho has NOTHING. Seriously. Sorry Clarissa, but I CANNOT live in Idaho. Wyoming is weird- some parts are really pretty and other parts are... like Idaho.
3) Don't ever "test" how cold the river is- someone might push you into the freezing water (like me... grr...)
4) Don't EVER get onto the same boat as Marcus if you don't want to get more wet than necessary (heng ah me, got into the other boat)

9 Comments:

At 9/05/2006 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah dear ar. i know idaho has nothing ar. its boring land and dead town. but come to tink of it its quite a nice place to like relax. haha. ok im crazy la. tat big float was for orientation la. we have it every semester to like welcome the new students. haha.

 
At 9/05/2006 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rite i forgot to tell you. i will call you la. dun spend money on the phone card la ok? and oh ya. ***** is back in provo. look out for him ok? hee. dunno who ***** is then i will tell you when i call. :) have a great day in school.

 
At 9/05/2006 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN im sad i couldnt go. i make so many sacrifices for work haha. but its all good. im glad you had fun. :)

 
At 9/05/2006 10:18 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

Ha ha my dear Clarissa, I like driving through it cos I get to relax my mind seeing miles of scorched land...
And ***** is from BYU meh? Oh yah hor.. he went to BYU-I for the summer right? then your ex-home teacher leh? Hiyah I need to buy phone card so ok lah, just buy. I need to change my add on the pinonsale.com first though, so let me contact them soon then I buy. Can't wait to talk to you!

 
At 9/06/2006 6:33 PM, Blogger kokolin said...

that sounded very fun! ahhh! i want to come over and visit u! but winter u going washington state rite? the whole winter break?

 
At 9/06/2006 9:23 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

no lah! Not the whole Winter break lah. Ha ha wrong. When is your winter break? Mine starts just a few days before Christmas and goes for 2 weeks.

 
At 9/06/2006 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA. that was hilarious keesh.
gosh i want to see the photos you guys took on the trip so somebody better post or send me something!

 
At 9/07/2006 6:40 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

Ash: go to my facebook and looked at my account. Angela tagged those pics to me. I look like crap lah, but heck! Ha ha!

 
At 9/12/2006 12:26 AM, Blogger joycey said...

Luckily, I was the only one that didn't get pushed into the water on the same boat with Marcus! Everyone else fell into the water! Haha! Luckily,I put on a pitiful face and Justin protected me and therefore, I skipped the whole thing of being "saboh" into the freezing ice water. Heng ah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home