Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Men are so stupid.

I'm not turning into some feminist, but really, men aren't the smartest creatures in the world.

Where did that come from???
Well, I watched "Sand Pebbles" last night, a 1966 three hour long movie for my China History class. That was when Candice Bergan (villain in Miss Congeniality) was still young and talking in a charming smooth accent. I couldn't believe that the girl in the show was her till I saw the credits.

Anyway, it's a war movie and a good one at that. The film is set in the time period when China had just started to revolt against the "foreign devils" and when Chiang Kai Shek was still leading the Nationalist army pre-WW2. Yeah, can anyone remember this time period in history? This was before even the Republic of Taiwan formed. Wah liao eh! The Sand Pebbles was an American navy boat that was laid siege to by the Chinese army and peasants. The crew couldn't flee however, till they rescued 2 missionaries in Up lake China.

The film was really well done, and I thought this was one of the most "worth-it" 3 hour long movies I've ever seen, meaning that all 3 hours were quite essential and did not have time-wasting sub-plot fillers (think Oklahoma! the play...).

But the only conclusion I could draw from the film was that MEN ARE MINDLESSLY, SENSELESSLY, VIOLENTLY INCLINED. I know that "mindlessly" and "senselessly" are practically synonyms, and that the the phrase should be "inclined to be violent" but I like the "____ly, ____ly, _____ly" because it sounds better :p.

Really. Of course, it's a war movie so there is bound to be vioence in them but the violence was over very stupid reasons- male pride, women and just for the love of violence. There was one scene in which the men were bidding to sleep with a prostitute. I was gorssed out by it, more than the violent fighting scenes. Also, men are so messy and helpless without women. In the show, when the servent-coolies deserted the ship, the men didn't know how to cook or clean because they were too reliant on the coolies.

The thing that really got to me was at the very end though when the protagonist died. Great, after sitting through 3 hours of seeing men act stupid. and just when the protagonist saved the day,

he dies.

I like the film but I don't have any wish to watch it again.

4 Comments:

At 2/04/2007 3:01 PM, Blogger rae said...

i saw that movie. in fact, i think my class was a condensed version of yours. are you doing hist 342?

 
At 2/04/2007 9:46 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

Yah 20th Century History

 
At 2/05/2007 12:38 AM, Blogger rae said...

i did it in spring. i love murdock.

 
At 2/06/2007 11:36 PM, Blogger joycey said...

oh yea...men were really prideful animals esp. in the past. They treated women like toys. Actually when u look at how Curly, Jud and other men bidding on the women's basket in Oklahoma,u know that women are like "groceries". They have to be bought! Seriously, I'm a feminist. I believe we are not toys and we are equal!!! You see The Little Foxes also, women are being trapped under men's control. This is what men really were last time.That's why feminism was created to save our position in this world!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home