Thursday, May 31, 2007

28 May 2007, Monday!!!

Finally the last day of the trip. And it was Memorial Day. How appropriate to visit the AFA today.
But before that...
I could not bear to say goodbye to everyone, especially to the children. It was so hard to leave. And we younger generation YSA declare ourselves"shi bai" (defeated). We tried to pay Aunty Lily back (she "subsidised" our trip to the Royal Gorge and for the buffet too), and before I could even put the money in her hand, she guessed what was going on and literary ran away. Sigh... Where can you find any nicer people?

Before heading home, we stopped over at Safeway and bought some of the sweetest cherries ever from Safeway. And they were so darn cheap- only $2/lb! Can't get such good quality cherries for such a cheap price anywhere else (well, except at an Orchard but don't foresee myself going to one soon).
And then off to the AFA to buy my shirt. To which the cashier asked me if I was there for graduation (that explains the TON of people there).
"Er, yes..."
And I got a 10% discount! Hmm... so is lying in this case alright?! Food for thought...
Anyway, we then took a short walk to the architecturally-unusual Cadet Chapel. Catholics, Protestants and Jews share the same building, but they have 3 separate (duh!) chapels. I was completely impressed. The insides were just gorgeous and eye-opening. I really like them (although the LDS temples are gorgeous too).

Then we started our drive home.. finally.
But not before stopping at the Denver Temple first! Yeah, Eric and Sharn found the place without Ashley's help. :p
I think we were blessed and lucky that the Temple was closed for Memorial Day, but the gate was open. So we drove in and took a few pictures there.

By then, I was getting slightly hungry. But nothing looked appetizing.
So Eric proposed that we just keep drive and then stop to eat at the 1st place we see after 10 minutes. Yeah, we had no idea what was out there after 10 minutes, but hey! That's part of the fun right?! After driving for 20 minutes, we drove into some resort town to eat, and found everything close due to Memorial Day. Urgh! So more driving. Finally, we stopped at this decent town (I think it was Idaho Springs) and went to this decent restaurant to eat.
And this place served as American food as you can get. Steaks, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, etc.
Well, if you couldn't tell already, I'm not a big fan of American food. However, my starvation coupled with good upbringing not to waste any food on the plate (:p) and pretty darn good meatloaf, I proceeded to "cleaned off" (quote Eric) my plate, even if the portions were GIGANTIC.

Then the drive back to Utah. I was SO SAD. Because the further we drove from Denver, the shorter, stumpier and brown-er the mountains got. And when we hit the Utah border, the road was seriously a never-ending straight road for almost 2 hours. After an hour of driving on this straight road, I asked, "How come the scenery is the same one?"
And we stopped at a gas station (Yours Truly doesn't have a very strong bladder), and there was this guy smoking AND CHECKING HIS CAR AT THE SAME TIME. Wah lau eh! Is he freaking crazy or something? Can't he read? I mean, it's already illegal to smoke within 25ft of a gas station (for obvious explosive reasons), and there he was smoking while CHECKING HIS CAR. We were like, let's get out of here NOW! Sharn was so scared she refused to even let me take my rubbish out of the car to throw away- hee hee! She wanted to get out of there IMMEDIATELY.

By the time we got to Price, it was already dark, and driving through the mountains at this time was terrifying, but Eric did a great job. Good job Eric! And Sharn's music kept us entertained. I can't believe I'm saying this but the Singapore NDP songs were soooo fun to sing to. BIG sign I've been away from home for too long...

We reached home at about 10:45pm, and greeted Provo with mixed feelings.
We were relieved and happy to finally see the end of the drive and to be home.
But we were also a bit depressed because it meant vacation was over and it was back to reality.
:(
:)
:(
:)
:(
:)

1 Comments:

At 6/04/2007 4:25 PM, Blogger Sharn Woo said...

You're right. It's super long! I read some of it. But why need to read?? I was there!! HAha!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home