Wednesday, May 09, 2007

BIG SET BACK

You know I always wondered why the process of filling up my mission papers was so easy compared to others.

My parents are paying for it.
My medical is done (and wasn't dragged out as long as I expected!).
I got all my shots done (and my arm muscles are still hurting a bit even though it's been 2 days!).
The insurance information is being filled up now and going to be sent over soon.

I thought the hardest thing I would need to do is learn how to bike (in case I go on a biking mission). And yes, I admit to everyone now- I DON'T KNOW HOW TO BIKE YET because my family couldn't afford one growing up. But I do have a bike (because someone really special and sweet bought one for me!) and I am DETERMINED to learn how to ride it before I go home.

Well, I was wrong. My biggest impediment is not the bike.

It's my DENTAL.

I did a dental evaluation yesterday, and I have to have my 4 wisdom teeth taken out and 2 teeth filled in. I called 2 dental places and the average price quoted WITH BYU Insurance is US$850!!!

Hello???!!! I don't even have enough money to go on a mission and you want me to cough out another $1000 for dental? Siao ah!

So right now, I might have to go home and do my dental because my dad can use his Medisave to help subsidise these operations. Plus, the doctors in Singapore might not even require me to get my Wisdom teeth plucked out (because, frankly, many Mormon dentists pluck them out to earn more $).

It's so frustrating. I know how Clarissa onni feels now. I won't cry, but I'm feeling depressed and very frustrated. I was so excited to turn in my mission papers, and I wanted to get everything done here because it's easier and way faster (I still recommend doing all the health stuff here at the Student Health Center).

But if it's so much cheaper to do it back home, I'm going to be patient and wait till I go home.
I guess this is my mission trial.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5/12/2007 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey im sure everything will work out. there is a reason for everything. u dunno wat it is now but you will eventually. just like how i did for mine. dun worry. just cont to push forward and it will all be ok.

 
At 5/12/2007 10:59 AM, Blogger Eric said...

I think it's actually a requirement (or it used to be) to have all your wisdom teeth out for insurance purposes on your mission...

Besides, quit whining! Everyone who goes on a mission has to go through all of this :)

 
At 5/15/2007 8:50 AM, Blogger rae said...

well dentists make their predictions (on whether you need to get them out or not) based on the bite wing and panoramic xrays. if you really had an option, they'd tell you that you can or don't need to get them out.

if your dentist told you you needed to get them out, it's probably because you don't have enough room in your mouth; they're crowding your teeth and will cause you a lot of pain and swollen gums when your teeth start to shift (and the fact that if your teeth shift, they won't look good in a couple of years), also decay because they are so far behind and hard to reach, etc.

A dentist here told me that if you take the bottom two out only (which is what i had the option of doing), pretty soon when the top ones come out fully, i'll be chewing my bottom gums when i eat since the bottom two have been extracted. and so he recommended that i just take all four out at once.

it is a lot of money though... :( i'm scheduled to get all 4 of mine out in a couple of weeks.

 
At 5/15/2007 9:07 AM, Blogger rae said...

actually, i might be getting mine out sooner than a couple of weeks. like maybe this friday.

p.s. at Wisdom Teeth Only (www.wisdomteethonly.com / 1-866-WIS-TEETH), it is $250 a tooth but they give a 50% missionary discount out of the $1000 total so it will only cost me $500 to get all 4 out. that includes the consult visit, IV anesthesia and panoramic xray.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home