Sunday, June 03, 2007

Pirates of the Carribean 3: At World's End

Was a disaster.

If part 2 was bad, part 3 was even worse. I was really looking forward to watching it, and I even sacrificed my much-needed rest and bore tremendous pain to go watch it.

Only to discover that my sacrifice was in vain.

I was sorely disappointed.

(WARNING: Spoilers ahead, so if you intend to watch it, STOP right HERE.)

The CGI effects were AWESOME (probably the only saving grace of the movie).
The rest of the movie was so bad that the only casts worth mentioning are Jack Sparrow (duh!) and Captain Barbossa (acted out by the excellent Geoffrey Rush), and even then, Jack Sparrow was a tad bit disappointing because the writers did not give him enough screen time!
Plus, the only funny and part worth watching was the scene where Captain Barbossa marries Will and Elizabeth amidst all the fighting. That was the only truly hilarious and good scene.

The rest of the movie was a mess.
  • Calypso- HUH??? Somebody please tell me what was the purpose of her character.
  • The love story between Calpyso and Davy Jones- what the heck?! No satisfactory ending. Actually, there was NO ending to it.
  • Singapore- even more ghastly portrayal than in Part 1 & 2. They made it look like some infested swamp. Hello?! The British came and colonized it- if Singpaore was an infested swamp with the British, doesn't speak much for British colonization you know...
  • James Norrington- First he was good, then very bad (he stole the heart and created all this trouble, remember?), and now he's GOOD once again. Writers, please make up your mind.
  • The exchange of prisoners between Will Turner and Jack Sparrow- this was REALLY confusing because Will was "bad" (in some sense) and then after the exchange, he suddenly became good again,. And Jack, well, he didn't seem to care. I did not get it.
  • Elizabeth Swan- from an aristocratic girl to the King of the Pirates? Again, HUH??? What type of plot development was that?
  • Why didn't Davy Jones kill the stupid East India Co. people? So what- kill the 2 soldiers guarding his heart too lor. Which brings me to the pity of...
  • Poor Davy Jones being reduced to this creature under Lord Beckett's control. Uh, I personally felt that this was again not a very good plot development. In Pirates 2 he, wait, it was a terrifying creature and had so much power. I thought Davy Jones was such a good villain, and to reduce it to this pathetic state (loss of ship control, loss of lover...) was stupid. In fact, if you think about it, Davy Jones doesn't really seem terrifying at all in Part 3 since the humans appartnely seem to think it's an everyday occurance to talk to ugly, mutated creatures. Now if there's one thing I couldn't figure out was how come no one seemed to fear these creatures!
  • The death of Lord Beckett- WHAT THE CRAP???!!! I mean yes he deserved to die. But the way he died was SO SO RIDICULOUS.
  • The numerous plot twists that got so confusing, it ruined the plot. Or should I say, plots. I gave up trying to figure out the storyline after a while.
  • Lastly, HOW CAN THE DARN LOVERS BE SEPARATED? This is Disney for goodness sake! Even if it wasn't Disney, the fact that Elizabeth and Will aren't together in the end is a disappointment in itself. Pirates is NOT a tragedy, so why aren't the lovers together? What type of storyline is that?
Go watch it, but don't expect much. Star Wars 3 is by far the worse movie I've seen, and Pirates 3 is still 10x better. However, Pirates 1 is still the best of the trilogy.

And there's a brief scene after the credits so make sure you stay. Although the scene really doesn't make sense and doesn't make you feel any better.

7 Comments:

At 6/04/2007 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i liked pirates 3! lol. altho i have to admit one is the best la. but i still like it! lol. and your prev entry very de long. i din read. too many words le.

 
At 6/04/2007 4:25 PM, Blogger Sharn Woo said...

Oh my gosh... Should I watch it?!?!

 
At 6/04/2007 11:16 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

Sharn: go watch it just to finish off the trilogy, but don't expect much...
Clarissa: Yah lah, and my previous entry abt my entire trip mah... must give detials. LOL.

 
At 6/05/2007 4:11 AM, Blogger rendy said...

Star Wars 3 was the best Star Wars by the way.. it was an epic insertion into the Star Wars story.

 
At 6/05/2007 9:19 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

Rendy: Oh my word Rendy- I can't believe you actually said that!~ Rendy! how in the freaking world can you say Ep 3 was the best? I think George Lucus should have have just stuck to the 1970/80s and stopped there!

 
At 6/05/2007 9:19 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

actaully, I'm very surprise that Rendy has been reading... ha ha!

 
At 6/10/2007 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keshia, I just read this post because I didn't want to spoil the movie. We saw it on Friday night and I agree that it was pretty terrible. In fact, I agree with just about every observation you made. It was ridiculously confusing and just weird. We all agree that #1 was the best...they shouldn't have bothered making the sequels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home