I had my 1st Stake Enrichment last night. Our leaders had invited Sister Judith Rasband, an internationally sought image consultant who is also from my church, to speak to us about image and dressing.
I was expecting the usual "modesty-is-always-in-style" type of talk but it was way different. In fact, it was so interesting and... controversial! I can't find a more suitable word. Basically, she ripped apart the entire fashion dress sense of current women AND men, saying so much of it was junk, trash and "deconstruction", even some styles that are are "in" now and seem appropriate. I don't necessarily agree with everything she said. For e.g. the whole guy "in" look of matching a formal suit top with dark pants/jeans: A big "No-no" according to her. When I heard that, I was like, "Hey! I've seen guys wear clothes like that and they look HOT!" And their not revealing anything!
Another part I totally disagree with her- if we want our future children to listen to us, change into a blouse that has a collar and looks formal. This gives us the "air" of being more authoritative, and commands more attentiona and respect from our kids. I promise I didn't hear wrongly. When I heard that, I was so stunned. Hello?! My MOM can command the same attention and respect from her kids WITHOUT her having to change in and out 5 times a day. She merely has to count to 3 and tell us the punishent when we disobey her.
Alright, the speaker is internationally sought and has been in business for 40 years, so I'm not going to dispute everything she says.
Here are some interesting quotes though that I picked from her handout and it's great food-for-thought:
- While what you wear won't get you into heaven, it can certainly keep you out!
- It's true that God cares about what's inside, not outside. It's what's inside, however, that determines how we dress and groom the outdside"
- "Do not underestimate the important and actual effect of appearance. Persons who are well groomed and modestly dress invite the companianship of the Spirit... and are able to exercise a wholesome influence upon those around them." (Harold B Lee)
Anyway, I thought it was the greatest irony that after having a talk about image and dressing, we had dessert. Dessert is good. It makes sure we attend and stay through meetings. But this dessert was EXCEPTIONALLY good. In fact, it was the best thing of the evening. Dessert was shortcake (I think) coated with a layer of whipcream and defrosted strawberries and sauce on it. It was DELICIOUS and WONDERFUL and oh my word! I had 5 pieces. But the amazing thing is that I DON'T feel guilty!!! I don't know why. Maybe it's because the dessert was so good, I'm sure it was worth the extra pounds I've put on. Or maybe it's because I didn't eat dinner (I had a late lunch) so I figured this could sub for my dinner. Or maybe I rationalised that there were deforsted-unfresh strawberries on them and well, they're still fruits right? Whatever the reason, sometimes (like in this case) FAT can be so delicious!
Labels: BYU Student Wards experience


3 Comments:
I love all your entries. You are a great writer, i could only wish i can write as well as you do!!!
ya man. totally agree with chris la. how in the world do u make ur entries sound so fluent and like perfect english can? wahh!! pei fu pei fu!! and rite sis rasband. im trying to figure out if she was the one who came with her husband bro rasband to give our devotional last tues. prolly is.. but i cld be wrong. ohwells.
Hey Clarissa, Sis Rasband has black hair and wears specs, and her colours are black, red and orange. Do u think she's the one? I dunno her husband though...
Post a Comment
<< Home