Saturday, February 25, 2006

Guys can be quite dumb sometimes...

I had Stake Conference today and judging from the title, guess what the topic was? Nope, not about marriage or courtship but about DATING. Ooh lah lah! DATING! How exciting!

Yeah right. Since the beginnning of this year alone, my bishop gave us the usual dating talk in January; there was a fireside held two Sundays ago about dating, and today there were 2 talks on dating. What is up with the leaders of the chuch? Ok, but I have to admit- after the bishop's prep talk and fireside, the guys have NOT asked my friends out so I guess the leaders felt that they needed more reinforcement.... at the expanse of the girls. But seriously, there's a limit to everything- my guy friends in Conference just shut off because it's the same thing over and over again. I know this wasn't meant to be torture but it felt semi-close to it.

Anyway, my post is not about dating. Dating is fun. Dating is wonderful. It helps people get to know each other better. In BYU context, a date is: A pair (male and female, just to clarify) goes off and does some fun activity. There's NO committment needed. You don't even need to romantically like the person of the opposite sex and still go on fun dates (to the horror of my Singaporean friends). But this is true. Dating is one way to go out and get to know more people of the opposite sex and improve your communication skills with them. If you are dating and going steady, it's call COURTSHIP.

Anyway, that's still not why I'm writing this post. Now to my main objective. One of the speakers told us this story to illustrate his point that dating can be simple and need not be extravagant- but that's not the point I got. Instead, the only I learnt was that BOYS CAN BE QUITE DUMB sometimes. The story goes as follows...

A boy was asked by a girl on a date (I think it was to Preference). In usual BYU-style (I swear this is BYU style. No where else does asking someone on a date take so much time, effort and flair), the girl asked him out in an extravagent way, and so HIS reply had to be extravagent as well...(That's not true- I did the extravagent way asking Billy out and he simply came up and said one simple "yes". Grr... Still not my pt abt guys being daft). So he planned to stick OREOS on the girl's window spelling the word "YES", so that when she wakes up, she will be greeted by the "YES".
Ok, so the idea is interesting. However, she lives on the 6th story of another Hall in Deseret Towers. How is he going to stick the oreos there? (Clarissa, you know how it's like right? there is no ledge to hold on to outside.)
He and his friends, in the night (duh!) climbed up the staricase to the roof of the girl's hall (which is forbidden. They shouldn't even be in the hall then). Unfortunately, they couldn't open the door to the roof because it was locked (for obvious reasons). So they PICKED the lock and went onto the roof. It doesn't stop there.
Now, this guy is a ROCK CLIMBER. So of course, to get to the girl's apartment, he broke the door to the roof, put on his gear and with the help of his friends, stood at the roof edge, ready to climb down, when he SLIPPED and... oh dear! The rope caused him to swing far away from the dorm (erm, I hope you understand me here. I don't know how to describe this) BUT he had to swing back so guess where he swung into? RIGHT INTO THE WINDOW OF A GIRL'S ROOM ON THE 7TH FLOOR!!!
BANG! He crashed straight into the windows and I'm guessing he actually broke the window because he got entangled in the blinds. There was HYSTERIA everywhere in the room and on the entire floor. You know, girls in PJs, being woken up to find a man entangled in your blinds with a bag of oreos... I would have screamed till the guy wished he was dead (you know my loud voice...). The guy managed to get untangled and actually moved away BUT HERE IS WHERE IT SHOWS THE STUPIDITY OF MEN.
He slips into the hall with his friends after allowed hours, they break into the door leading to the roof, he tries to "rock climb" down to the girl's apartment, he slips and crashes into the wrong apartment and wakes up the entire floor (and building of couse), he is about to get caught and STILL HE DECIDES THAT SINCE HE IS NEARBY, HE MIND AS WELL FINISH THE TASK.
He climbed down to the right apartment and started to paste oreos on the correct window. However, he noticed that there was BLOOD on the window so he looked down on his hand and saw that in crashing into window, he cut himself and was bleeding pretty badly. Then only does he FINALLY decided to stop. (That was wise. Imagine the poor girl waking up to find OREOS covered in BLOOD on her window spelling "yes"... freaky!) Anyway, he climbed down and his friends (obvoiusly panicking by now) rushed him to the hospital (I think he got stiches). And all this without getting caught! (Gee! I wish I had such good luck in my tests...)
The police started investigations, on the charge of someone breaking into Deseret Towers. Luckily, after self-voluntarily confessing to the police and explaining his story a few times, the police believed him and dropped charges. Naturally he was kicked out of Deseret Towers.

When I heard it, I was like, oh my word! Why was he so stupid? And him crashing into the window is one of the most hilarious things I have heard this week. (wanna hear something else funny? My floor-mate told me I have an amazing talent of brushing my teeth and bring able to HUM a song at the same time). Guys/ Males/ Boys can be really daft sometimes.

But you know what? We still love them in the very end. Sigh...

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 2/26/2006 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha oh my! tat guy is realli realli dumb! pls la. there are other more creative ideas la. like hello? thankful the guys here are not as dumb asd tat guy man. hah ohgosh! i cant stop laffing tinking bout it la! pengz la. haha. ohwells. keesh do u know wat strepthroat is?

 
At 2/26/2006 10:06 AM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

er, no. Wats strepthroat? a band? something u eat during a sore throat?

 
At 2/26/2006 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya see rite. im not so sure also. cos im sick again yea. then my throat hurts realli bad. and my room mates say could be strep throat. cos i eat also pain drink also pain. and its very contagious. so i not sure. if tml i dun get betta i gg to see doc ba. haiz. ohwells.

 
At 2/26/2006 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my goodness~ yr entry is so funny (and in such great lucid details), u know what ppl say about guys, they are still kids until they become a father...

 
At 2/26/2006 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

onni! tat phrase super familiar can.. where did i hear it from?? hmmm..samsoon?? hmm dunno but im sure i heard it sumwhere.. where ar?

 
At 2/26/2006 10:10 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

Oh Clarissa, u r sick??? Oh no! I'm so sorry. I really hope you feel better. Hope u DON'T need to see a doc. And get well soon! Rest and don't go to school lah if u feeling blah!

 
At 2/27/2006 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi kesh!! i read ur blog one shot from feb 14's entry til dis one... was laughing away manz..haha u must be thinking u're finally hearing from ivy right. so sorry gal! anw my long awaited 1.5 month break has at long last arrived. (i.e.i've ended my 2nd semester) look out for my very long email within e next 2 days! lotsa updating to do..haha *winkz*

 
At 2/28/2006 12:39 AM, Blogger Oriental Lass said...

the guy is creative.... but oh well end up cutting his hand. Well... This is the usual byu thing isnt it?

 
At 2/28/2006 12:47 AM, Blogger Oriental Lass said...

You are simply hilarious

 
At 2/28/2006 11:51 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

IVY!!! I'm soooooo happy to hear from you man... like finally! Ok, I'm waiting 4 ur e-mail ah..u owe me a long one. ha ha!
Chris, this is NOT (hopefully) the usual BYU thing. Man, if I was the girl, I would be SOOOOO embarrass man! My guy should do speical things for me, but not in this way. Hee hee!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home