Thursday, February 23, 2006

I'm sure not doing this anytime soon...

Guess what I read for my exercise science lessoon? To cope with stress, we should sleep.

The average human needs eight hours of sleep each night, but every person is different. To determine how much sleep you need, go to sleep at the same time each night for two weeks and get up when your body tells you to (with no alarm). However long you sleep is how long your body requires. Once you know, decide to sleep that much every night.

Currently, this is impossible for me to do because
1) I have too much homework, so I dont have a fix time I can sleep every night. It varies (although the average is12.30am, 12am on a nice day)
2) I don't have 8 hours to spare sleeping. I sleep around 12.30am and and up by 8am the next day getting ready for school
3) If I sleep without my alarm, I'll wake up at 12PM. I just know it. Ok, maybe not 12 noon but 10am-ish.

My exercise science lesson was teaching us the importance of meditation and this is what they wrote.

Since meditation does take some practice, don't be surprised if your first several attempts go something like this:

OK, concentrate. . . . This is good, I'm totally relaxed. . . . Oh, I just had an itch. Okay, start again. . . . What time is that meeting? . . . Never mind, I have got to do this! . . . My nose itches. I guess it's okay to scratch it. . . . Where do all of these thoughts keep coming from? . . . I've got to try harder. . . . Breathe. . . . I'm getting frustrated. I'm not supposed to do that. . . . Okay, I can do this. . . . I'm hungry. . . . Wonder what I'll cook tonight. . . . I'm having too many thoughts, I'm just going to have to try this another time

In reality, my mind would really go something like this...

Ok Keshia, this is good, I'm totally relaxed... Good Keshia... relax... think.... focus... zzz... wake up Keshia! Ok, focus again... hmm... I was made for loving you baby, and you were STOP SINGING THE SONG KESHIA! (That's what Moulin Rouge did to me)... ok, come back... relax, breathe in and out... deep breaths... zzz... WAKE UP! Ok, this is really getting irritating. Oops, relax Keshia... relax, relax... HOW TO RELAX??? I have homework to do! I'm done with my stupid math, statistics... ok, cut off that thought...relax... Hiyah I can't relax. I give up! Gonna do my homework"

I don't know how effective the meditation method will work for me, but one thing's for sure- I rather take a power nap than meditate! Especially since I am inclined to dose off when I meditate anyway.

3 Comments:

At 2/24/2006 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wahaha.. ur post is hilarious can! haha. ohwells. how are u dear? seems like u are pretty stressed still with skool huh? did i ever tell u to try taking it a day at a time? tats wat i do. and its a whole lot betta compared to taking in everything at a time. like i cleared two tests today. so im taking a breather. then tml start again. try it. it helps alot. rem just dun give urself too much stress yea? love love!

 
At 2/25/2006 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha- yeah lor~ i tried meditation after yoga (and i find myself going into a semi-deep sleep)
sigh. i have like 4 more essays to write this sem :( SO WELL.
hahaha take things one step at a time lah~

 
At 2/26/2006 1:09 AM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

Clarissa:yup yup dear! Everyday I wake up and go, I'm gonna survive today. NOT I'm gonna survive this sememster cos I don't think I can! Take one day at a time and that's an accomplishment in itself. Luv ya! Don't stress too much!Jerm: Good luck on your essays. I don't have that many papers but my math, stats and bio HW is enough to compensate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home