I'm Seriously Developing...
An expensive new hobby- cultiving my artistic knowledge and cultural-ness. Ok, what I really meant was I have developed a love and taste for plays, performances, visits to the musuems and viewing all kinds of (wholesome) exhibitions.
It all started when I came to USA and got a booklet that contained all the dates of BYU's performances and plays. Uh oh! I opened the booklet and there were soooo many performances that BYU was putting up for the year. Of course, I didn't care about the price, after all, what was more important was the fact that I was going to be more "cultured" and exposed to real artistic talent. Ok, not true. My parents would kill me to hear me say that. Let's just say that BYU students get a discount so I ,er, rationalized and told myself it would be worth the money.
And it was! Well, most of the time. The one and only exception that I can think of when BYU disappointed me was BYU's "Book of Gold", an opera about Joseph Smith. Let's just say that I hope they aren't going to show it anytime and anywhere soon for it'll be an embarrassment. The only good thing that about that opera was the singers. Now that's real good talent.
Speaking of talent, why in the freaking world does America have so much talent? Argh! It annoys me and makes me so jealous. But like my mom always say, when you have a country so big with ~300 million people, there's bound to be more talent proportion wise, when compared to S'pore. I hope more Singaporeans will be daring enough to go overseas and study more unconventional things like dance, acting or music, and then go back to Singapore and build up the art scenes there. And history as well (I'm sure I'll contribute someway...). Oh man, I'm beginning to sound like the gov...
Anyway, back to BYU. So I've been here and I've gone to many concerts and they've been so worth the money. Being a (ex) violin player, I went to the Philharmonic Orchestra Concert and oh my word! That was the best student orchestra I've ever heard. (Popo and Koko, I thought ACS was good- blah!) I'm sure Popo has been expose to even better ones than I have but BYU's was SUPER SUPER GOOD (SN MEPers, rememeber Mussorsky's Pictures at an Exhibition? They played it! What a pleasure!).
And so far, I've been to a photographic exhibition, gone to see a painting exhibition at BYU's Musuem of Art, watched 2 plays, ~5 dance concerts (including the BYU-Idaho one) and a jazz concert and am planning to go for more. Oh and speaking of dance concerts, I watched BYU's Ballroom Dance Company yesterday and I was stunned. I have no idea why there is so much stereotype of guys dancing because the guys who danced were not only good- they were EXCELLENT and really into it. In fact, I turned to my friend and whispered, "Oh my word! The men can shake their butts even better than me!" And NO, they DID NOT look gay.
And of course, who cares about the price right since it was worth every single cent, right? (This is why my parents don't know about my blog)
My poor future-whoever-he-is-better-be-able-to-support-my-expensive-hobby-boyfriend... I hope he doesn't get too jealous about the ballroom dancing company guys and their flexible butts.
Sunday, April 09, 2006
About Me, America and Everything-in-between. The adventures of a blur chinese Girl trying to find her way around the gigantic US of A...
About Me

- Name: Funkee Ego
- Location: United States
A very unbashful girly "female". I love clothes and objects with floral and ribbon motifs on them. I love to read and watch everything to do with artistic things. Unfortunately, I'm pretty telantless in them. Sigh...
Previous Posts
- To Ivy and Kokolin...Ivy: Ok Ivy, you're forgiven....
- Why is it...That when I tagged people to write 10 ...
- Oh Great!Now I have to take back every single word...
- Drumroll....To FINALLY welcome Spring in! Woo Hoo!...
- To Koko and Popo...When I tried to link you to my ...
- 10 Random Things I Love...At Stacie's suggestion. ...
- This is HILARIOUS!!!Ok I swear that when blogger d...
- Ups and Downs...This weekend has just been a conti...
- Top Ten Reasons Why It's Good to be Single...Ok, f...
- Stacie,Can you give me Grandpa D's Number? I want ...


1 Comments:
Well, your future boyfriend is bound to be jealous of the dancers' flexible butts :o), but don't worry about that. I say enjoy your single time now when you can go to all these things because most likely your future boyfriend won't want to see as much as you do. Good for you for being so involved!
Post a Comment
<< Home