Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I did my first...

GROCERY SHOPPING, er, "load" yesterday. Ha ha! Ok, Clarissa must be rolling her eyes. Well, I had the meal plan when I was the dorms so I didn't have to worry at all about groceries, but now that I'm living off-campus, I've got to buy my own groceries and cook my own food.

So my house-mate drove me down to Smith's (the grocery store... here no NTUC or Cold Storage) to buy my first "load" and, er, oh dear... I spent a freaking TON of $$$ there. BUT I had reasons.

I bought enough food to last me for the next MONTH or so. I also bought all my baking stuff like flour, vanilla and sugar (which I learnt is very expensive any where). Plus I bought a huge bottle of detergent that I'm sure will last me for the rest of the term and toilet paper (I bought it this time and my house-mate will buy it next).

And you know how they measure things in ouzes and pounds right? So I was buying tomatoes and bananas and when I was measuring them, I saw the WRONG SCALE. So instead of buying like 1 pound worth of tomatoes (costing me onyl 99 cents!), I bought 1 KG worth of tomoatoes which is about 2.25 pounds. Aargh! The same went for the bananas. But oh well, the tomoatoes were very sweet and juicy so I don't mind paying more. Ha ha!

All I know is that I miss my meal plan A LOT.

4 Comments:

At 5/11/2006 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u miss your meal plan! gosh! id choose cooking and buying groceries anytime man. food in the galley sucks. ok maybe it doesnt. it just gets really boring. and buying ur own groceries. u get to make chinese food! oh and did u buy rice?? tats a must!! :):)

 
At 5/12/2006 2:21 PM, Blogger Oriental Lass said...

I know what you mean when you said you miss your meal plan, because here in byuh i have a meal plan as well. Well cooking is fun and i am sure it is a fun experience. good luck on that!

 
At 5/12/2006 4:32 PM, Blogger kokolin said...

enjoy cooking! is there costco near u?
i heard they sell in bulk hence cheap but members need annual fee. i must get some tips from u on how to cook cos i also need to cook for myself this summer. hopefully i wun burn the place down. wat to do, ex-meper is very blur on cooking(speaking for meself, that is)

 
At 5/12/2006 7:35 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

ha ha just to clarify I like cooking (not my hoby but I like it enough) but my meal plan had $$$ so I didn't have to worry abt budgeting, etc. it's nice to be able to cook familiar food but on the other hand, it's nice to haf a meal plan and not worry abt cooking. Chris and Koko, u totally understand right?!
There is a Costco in Orem, 10 mins car ridew away from my place but I don't go there cos too far. E-mail me koko if u need anything. also u can cook rice in a potover the stove btu of cos the gas go up lah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home