Two Words-
BLOWN AWAY.
That's the perfect phase for describing how I felt after watching last night's BYU Dancesport Championship 2006. Have you seen those professional dance competitions on tv? Yeah, just cut and paste the same high level of dancing onto the Wilk Ballroom and there you have Dancesport, only LIVE.
No one competing last night should have that much talent. It's just not fair. If I'm celestialized in the next life, I'm taking eternal dance classes along with my husband (you've been warned...) and going to acquire the same talent and even more. :p I was so awed by the competition/ performance last night that I stayed there from 7pm all the way till it ended at 11pm- way way WAY longer than I anticipated to stay, but I was so blown away I just had to.
I was extremely impress by the BYU students who performed. I really believe that some of them are at a professional dancing level. No wonder BYU's Ballroom Dance Company is recognized nation wide and rightly so!
But what really blew my mind were the little kids and youth who competed last night. Let me tell you, they were just amazing. And very professional. Even though they were around 7-11 years old, they acted like calm mature adults and when the couples accidentally hit each other, they just stopped and started over (now contrast this with the very immature road rage adults and you see what I mean). I felt so tired for the children because for some of the categories, they had to dance about 4 very lively dances (e.g. Latin: cha cha, samba, ramba and paso doble) each time for the heats, the quater finals, the semi-finals and the final. Gee! And still each time they gave the same high level of performance (and big wide smiles!) despite their fatigue.
After watching them last night, I vowed that my kids (even the boys) are going to take at least one dance class in their childhood (any type- modern, ballet, ballroom, folk, etc) for maybe a year or more, provideded of course that we have the means. Just one year and if they want to stop after that, fine with me.
As for my competition, I competed in the Social Dance 180 dance competition for Dancesport in the morning against 140 other couple (I'm not kidding you). In my category, we dance the cha cha and even though we got cut at the second call-back,
1) My partner and I at least made it through the first call-back! Woo Hoo!
2) We had tons of fun just dancing the cha cha
3) It was perfect timing to get cut! Su competed in the 280 Latin Dance one doing the Samba or Ramba (forgot which one...) and she got called back. The problem was that she had to work. Uh oh! Good thing I got cut because I quickly filled in and subbed for her at work, so that she could continue on. Yeah! Doesn't the Lord really work in mystrious ways?
By the way, Su eventually WON! Yes! As in, she got 1st place. I was so proud of her. Congratulations Su!
I'm not taking a dance class next semester, but I'm definitely going to watch next semester's Dancesport (which is going to be even better, because it's the USA Dancesport Championship, held at the Marriot Center) AND the BYU Ballroom Dance company performances. I'm going to save for money to buy GOOD tickets for them. Anyone else in?
Sunday, November 12, 2006
About Me, America and Everything-in-between. The adventures of a blur chinese Girl trying to find her way around the gigantic US of A...
About Me

- Name: Funkee Ego
- Location: United States
A very unbashful girly "female". I love clothes and objects with floral and ribbon motifs on them. I love to read and watch everything to do with artistic things. Unfortunately, I'm pretty telantless in them. Sigh...
Previous Posts
- The Little FoxesOk, just to help Joycey make some ...
- Guess what I discovered?!?!?!?!I'm so excited!CSI:...
- I'm still trying to decide...... which is worse: H...
- I made a SURPRISE visit up to Rexburg, Idaho this ...
- How do you nicely reject a guy ? Honestly, someone...
- You know you have developed a "thick skin"...For m...
- *Drumroll*...ToMiss Clarissa Chen!!! (notice the u...
- How's that for being cultured!Phew! Today was a lo...
- My life has been so boring......the past few weeks...
- I didn't get permission from...Christina Cen to sa...


4 Comments:
I LOVE going to Dancesport! I wish I were around to go with you next semester. I too am amazed at the talent there. I'm glad you enjoyed it! And good job competing...and for making it past the first cut. Also, that was really nice of you to fill in for your friend, who ended up winning! Sounds like a fun day....makes me miss it.... :o(
oh man im sooooo excited for su...i bumped into rendy today and he said that she won first place. YEAAAAAHHHHHH SU way to represent!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)
glad you had fun, keesh!! way to be on making first callbacks.
Wow, sounds so much fun! I never attended a dancesport before because I'm alway stuck with production. I really want to watch it next semester. I saw my friend Anne today at church and she told me she got into semifinals for tango and won 6th place. I'm very confused with all the competition, there are too many. Would you want to explain the difference? So Su is competiting only in Samba with people doing Samba only? How many couples did she fight with? I'm so impressed with her... I never danced this kind of dance before...hai..too late.. well, anyway I guess I just don't like to dance with a guy, not even my husband. I like to dance individually.
ha ha Joyce actually there are really too many competitions that I can't even list them out! Maybe when I see you at work or something
Post a Comment
<< Home