Monday, January 08, 2007

The time has come...

To assess the Singapore Education system by me.

If you are American, DO NOT READ THIS POST. I'M SERIOUS. It will be extremely offensive to you. There are times when I just have to complain about American culture stuff.

Anthropology 101: My professor is way cool- Ruth Toulson is an English visiting professor from the University of CAMBRIDGE (why did I have a feeling that I was the only one awed in the class? The feeling that the rest of the class had no clue how good Cambridge was?) and she lectured in NUS (yes, the NUS) for a year and a half, before lecturing in Bei Da (again I think I was the only one awed. I mean, probably the BEST U in China can?!) for another year and a half. Her emphasis is on death and the rituals. She told us that because of her training she expects an extremely high standard of writing from her students, and that we can expect to fail our 1st assignment, BUT we can do multiple re-writes on them any time of the semester. Brought back bad memories of failed GP papers (yes, it's possible to fail) but with NO re-writes.

Therefore I'm very interested in seeing if all my Singaporean A Level writing training has helped me to meet the "high standard" of writing she expects. Of course, this is assuming that I have not ben corrupted by the standard of writing here. I'm sorry to sound so arrogant but it's so true that my peers in Singapore universities can write critical-thinking English essays so much better than half the people in BYU can (or at least half of the undergraduates). I have this sinking feeling that my standard of writing has dropped way way way low. Of course, I can change professors but it fits in well with my schedule and apparently she's good. I think she's way cool (having lived in Singapore for a period of time...) so I'm keeping her.

Oh yes, and because it's a GE, I'm stuck in this class with half the population being FRESHMEN. I was a Freshman once, and most of them are nice, but when you put many Freshmen together (sorry the bad English), I feel like strangling them. I had a great time staying in the dorms, but notice in my letter (post dated 31/12/2006) I said it was a good move to Rengency for a reason. We all need to grow up and be independent after an excused-immature year.

I know I've told this to multiple people, but last semester in my Basic Vocal skills class, my Freshman classmate asked (and it was already 1/2 way through the semester), "Um, excuse me, but where's the HFAC?"
Honey, go get a map and find it. And the HFAC (the building for music and art and dance, where all the concert halls are) isn't in some rural part of campus. It's just next to the library, which everyone knows where. Wah lau eh!
*slap forehead* and "roll eyes*

6 Comments:

At 1/09/2007 2:59 AM, Blogger joycey said...

Hahahaha! I have some friends also don't know what is HFAC when i say HFAC until i explain that it's next to the wilk and library. Everyone must definitely know where is HFAC what! Come on lar, so stupid meh? It's a big and important place to watch performance! Good luck to your class! Wah, from Cambridge, sure very strict...

 
At 1/10/2007 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyways Keshia, I agree with what u have to say. The americans do have an atrocious level of english. I took up a paper today which an american girl had wrote and yes u were right! there is alot of editing that needed to be done.

 
At 1/11/2007 1:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey woman!do u play nintendo wii there?so cool...
come back quick!i miss u!

 
At 1/11/2007 1:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1/11/2007 1:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh!i can bring u around to eat prata and chicken rice when u're back!dun u just miss juicy succulent steamed chicken thighs with fragrant oily rice and the salty chicken soup?oh and delicious prawn mee cooked with high cholesterol prawn heads, simmer and simmer until the soup taste like melted prawns with spices?the prawn mee noodle mixed with delicous-make-u-choke chilli powder, so spicy!u cant stop stuffing them down even tho ur eyes are filled with tears. oh and succulent salmon sushi mixed with wasabi that unblocks every blocked nose?dun u arrrhh...just miss all these?i miss you like how u miss all these food.
heh heh heh

 
At 1/11/2007 10:30 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

Sian Lye!!! Hello! Eh, I really box you up ah... you go and describe the food ah, is pure torture to me. Wah lau eh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home