The Sad Truth about Women, Eating, Weight and Surface Beauty
Tim was telling me that a girl in his ward was attending a ward activity and refused to eat. Her friends tried to persuade her to eat, but she refused because she did not want "to go home and throw up."
I promise those are the exact words Tim used. That's sad enough.
The sadder part- hardly anyone picked up on that.
Me included- I almost did not catch that.
Isn't that sad? It was like BAM! This realization that there are women in BYU with serious weight issues.
It just reminded me of what Elder Bednar said in the Prayer Meeting before the General Young Women's Meeting (which was inspiring and wonderful btw). He talked about how "surface beauty" does not last, but virtue and inner beauty are "eternal". Speaking specifically to the Young Women's Choir, he asked them to picture in their minds their ward choir.
"That would be you in 15 years." Well, that certainly created a stir.
"Not that I'm insulting your choir."
I told you he was funny. And he got his point across.
I don't know why but this issue has been coming up so frequently. I recently watched a show called "Intervention" (it's a very inspiring show btw) and this girl threw up so much, she did not need to stick a finger down anymore before her body would automatically throw up. Gross isn't it? BUT IT'S REAL!
And then for work today, my professor was trying to purchase some materials about girls in America and their obsession with thinness. Joan Brumberg's The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls is now on my list of to-read books.
I struggle with weight issues too and my physical appearance but I hope that I've come to peace with it.
I'm not skinny, but I'm not fat.
I'll lose my figure once children come along.
I've been single all my life but I've learnt independence.
More importantly, I've truly learnt what it means by the saying "It's nice to be important (or feel special/ loved by a boyfriend or someone...) but it's more important to be nice."
You know what I'm really scared of?
My future daughters (and perhaps even my sons!) being obsessed with their weight.
I hope that I'll have the strength and wisdom to know how to teach them to deal with and accept their weight.
May I know how to comfort them and tell that true beauty is not about surface beauty, it's about virtue, kindness and chastity.
And,
May I teach my sons to respect women and their divine roles, and to distinguish between liking a female for her beauty and her divine qualities.
Monday, March 26, 2007
About Me, America and Everything-in-between. The adventures of a blur chinese Girl trying to find her way around the gigantic US of A...
About Me

- Name: Funkee Ego
- Location: United States
A very unbashful girly "female". I love clothes and objects with floral and ribbon motifs on them. I love to read and watch everything to do with artistic things. Unfortunately, I'm pretty telantless in them. Sigh...
Previous Posts
- Melody + Meaningful Lyrics = Great SongI think it'...
- Thank you everyoneFor being so nice to me! I certa...
- 23RD JUNE!!!That's the day I leave Salt Lake.Yeah ...
- You will not believe how hard it is...TO BOOK A PL...
- Drumroll for the newly appointed Elder John Chan!G...
- My highlight of my weekend wasHands down Stake Con...
- I am so so so happy for Abish!!!Congratulations to...
- The good news is...The doctor said that it's a vir...
- I SOUND LIKE A TOAD NOW!!!Urgh!It sucks to be sick...
- Happy Chinese New Year!!!Thank you to everyone (es...


4 Comments:
Keshia, what a great entry! I agree with you fully--society puts way too much emphasis on physical appearances, i.e. weight and other things.
It truely is our inner beauty that counts! Let's hope that our children will understand that as well!
Were you in the choir for the broadcast? I was watching, but I don't remember seeing you.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. They are so important.
Stacie: Oh no I wasn't in the choir. I'm too old! Ha ha! But I attended the prayer-meeting because I knew someone on the YW board and so she got me a ticket as well. It was really neat.
So, I stumbled on your blog after stumbling on Joyce's blog. Hee~ Your blog entry is sad!! Sad but true, and definitely scary. Anyway, add us to your blogroll! www.ericandsharn.com
Post a Comment
<< Home