Especially For Ong Liting...
And those studying in Singapore. Just to clear things so you don't get mixed up.
The education system here is very flexible and it's hard to explain. But I'm gonna try.
I think Singapore is trying to do this as well. We (as in BYU-Provo and BYU-Hawaii. BYU-Idaho goes on another system) work according to the semester-term system. School here is divided into Fall and Winter semester, each lasting 4 months. So last yar I went Spetember- December (before Christmas) for Fall, and then January- April for Winter. Total: 8 months. In between each semester, you get a NICE NICE 2 -3 week Christmas break.
People usually return home after Winter ends because 1) 8 months is a lot of school, or 2) ran out of money so need to work, or 3) both.
But if you want to continue on, there's the 2 months long EACH Spring (May-June) and Summer(July-August) terms. And they are NOT FUN. Why? Because you CRAM (as in no-kidding CRAM) in an entire semester's worth of work (4 months' work) into the 7 weeks long term. Have you tried? It's like cramming the entire A Level syllabus into one year. Classes are twice as long in the term and readings are also twice as much. No joke. So I took Spring term and crammed like siao. Usually in the semester we read one chapter/ lesson. I was reading 2 or 3 chapters/ lesson in Spring. After all this cramming and cramming, I was way ready for a break during summer (which is now...).
It didn't (and still doesn't) help that so many of my friends returned after Winter semester to go home for the summer, only returning this Fall.
So depending on how fast you want to graduate, you can take classes accordingly. If you want to graduate fast (and burn out), you can take Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer = year round studying and graduate early. You can go very very slow and take Fall, break, Spring, break, Fall, break, etc (in case you need to work for the money). You can also take classes at a nice pace (like me. Hee hee!) and go Fall, Winter, Spring, break or Fall, Winter, break, Summer. Up to you and how fast you want to graduate.
So Liting, understand now how come I have so many exams? I got exams for Fall, exams for Winter and exams for Spring. Now I'm off to take a 2 month summer break (not like Singapore where it's a compulsary 4 month stretch break).
Ahhh...
Monday, June 26, 2006
About Me, America and Everything-in-between. The adventures of a blur chinese Girl trying to find her way around the gigantic US of A...
About Me

- Name: Funkee Ego
- Location: United States
A very unbashful girly "female". I love clothes and objects with floral and ribbon motifs on them. I love to read and watch everything to do with artistic things. Unfortunately, I'm pretty telantless in them. Sigh...
Previous Posts
- It's 8.29 am on 21 June 2006...And I'm ALREADY off...
- Some customers...Just DRIVE ME NUTS!!! This c...
- I think the HBLL Library hates me...Because it kee...
- I went bowling today...With some of the Singaporea...
- Figure out this equation:What do you get when you....
- What a memoriable... Memorial Day Weekend! Ha ha! ...
- It's been a long...time since I posted but I've be...
- Oh My Word!That's the only 3 words I can use to de...
- Rojak!I've name this post as such because this pos...
- I did my first...GROCERY SHOPPING, er, "load" yest...


1 Comments:
what u dedicate ur post to me? haha! thanks ah keshia lai put my full name! box u man! anyways i understand now la! wah so flexi one ah ur education syst! why dont u juust take fall winter spring summer and hurry graduate! hahaha just joking! thanks for explanining! and WHO SAY WE GOT 4 mth BREAK! 4 mths only lors
Post a Comment
<< Home