Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The highlight of my 1st Independence Day since coming back...

Is NOT the Parade (are you kidding me?!), it's not the fireworks (close 2nd), but instead it's...

The World Cup! Haha! Can't get more Asian than that can I?

After the parade (more about that in the other post), we went over to... I don't know how to explain the long complicated relation so I'll just say an old family friend's relative's house to rest and celebrate July 4th. Anyway, once we got there, guess what we saw? The Italy vs Germany match just starting. Woo Hoo!

So for the entire 12o mins, a whole group of us were just sitting there, glued to the t.v., almost "stoned" out because the score continued to be 0-0 at half-time, full-time and at the end of 1st extra-time.

And then...

Miracle of miracles ITALY SCORES A GOAL AT THE 2ND LAST MIN just before the extra-time is over! Who would have believed that?! My room-mate and I were cheering (even though the host family was Germany). Italy scored a goal and at such a late time, victory was well and truly secured.

AND THEN to really rub salt into the wound, Italy just had to pound into the Germanys their triumph and they scored another goal in, get this, the very last min of extra time, the 121st min. Yes, NOT the 120th min but the 121st min. They actually scored another goal duing the STOPPAGE TIME. Can you believe that?!

Anyway, I was happy because as you all know by now, I have a natural prejudice against German soccer. I'm glad Italy won. But you know what, I think Italy deserved it because the German defense during those 2 goals were so weak. In fact, for the 121st goal, there wasn't even any defense. Really- go watch the replays. No defense. Like, what in the world was Germany doing in the last few mins?

Hence it was our (people who watched the match with me) theory that Germany became COMPLACENT. Uh oh.. very very bad... You see, Germany has a history of winning all their penalty shoot-outs (played 4, won all 4). Italy, on the other hand, had played in 3 penalty shoot-outs and, erhem, lost all 3. So Germany was ready to just drag the game to the end of extra-time, play the penalty-kicks, trash Italy and win the game.

What they didn't count on was Italy's "desperation" NOT to play to the penalty kicks and their own complacency. Hence the weak defense and ability of Italy to fight to the very end, score two World Cup-worthy goals (they were really good goals!) and win the Germans.

Yeah!

Btw, I realised that many soccer players are potential actors man. It's so amazing how "injured" some of them are after someone tackles them. I know some of these tackles can be really painful, but honestly, American football players have it 10x worse and they don't even act half as pained as these players do (and trust me, American football player gears don't provide much protection either).

2 Comments:

At 8/10/2006 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

 
At 8/15/2006 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home