Monday, July 24, 2006

I went hiking up Squaw Peak today...

And almost just died.

Not so much from the hike itself (although that was enough to kill me) but more from the SHOCK of how long we climbed and what we climbed.

I didn't realize that the "peak" in Squaw Peak referred to a MOUNTAIN Peak, not some swamp area that I orignally thought.

So there I was, hiking, no wait, climbing up this mountain, wondering when this torturous 3 HOUR long hike would end. And that's not even counting the time it took to get down. By the time we got up, I was just too grumpy to truly appreciate the view. (Clarissa, if you thought the view from the Y was beautiful, wait till you see the view from Squaw Peak- you literally see miles and miles of the state of UT) The only thought going through my mind at the top was, "Wow! The view sure is breathe-taking. Now get me down!"

Plus I had been lied to more times during this hike alone than in my entire life. See the list below.

So the next time I go hiking, I'm going to make sure that I know exactly what I will be hiking and how long it will take. No more hikes UP that last more than 2 hours. I will reserve longer hikes for areas that are more level

Some funny moments (to me) on looking back that weren't funny to me during the hike

Rendy: 5 more minutes.
After 10 minutes of hiking...
Me: Rendy, how long more is this?
Rendy: 5 more minutes!
After another rest stop...
Rendy: 5 more minutes
Me (threatening tone): Say another "5 more minutes" and I'll push you down the hill, Rendy!
Su: 5 more minutes

Patrick: The worse is over- really. (Says this just before the very last lap, when we are 15 mins away from the peak)
5 minutes later we climbed a STEEP pasage the rest of the way. LIAR.

Rendy: Isn't the view worth it, Keshia?
Me (thinking): Worth it? This torturous 3 hour climb worth the view? Let me tell you what's worth it- hring a helicoptor to bring me up and see the same view- now that's worth it!

The rest (Above 3, Tiffy and her 3 friends): That was a really nice hike
Me (Silence)

No wonder Rachel gets "dysfunctional" hiking. I love hiking but today I was just too shocked.

8 Comments:

At 7/25/2006 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i will react the same way as u! aint the climb mts kinda person! haha

 
At 7/25/2006 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Keshia! Squaw Peak is a HARD hike. Matt and I did it a couple summers ago and I about died too. Sadly, we only made it to the summit before the very top...it was getting too late at night. It must have been hot too I bet. Good for you!

 
At 7/25/2006 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

ohmygosh keesh this was frickin hilarious. i'm here at work at the MTC health clinic and all of a sudden i'm laughing at the computer screen like some kind of freak. thank goodness there aren't any missionaries sitting here.

but as lagoon showed, you have more guts than i do. and that is the truth. :D

 
At 7/25/2006 5:23 PM, Blogger Funkee Ego said...

Rae: Oh rae it's not about guts. It's only that I was probably more stupid and din't know what I was getting myself into.
But I loved my time at Lagoon. I wonder how Disneyland would be then... can't wait to go when I have saved up enough money( which is like, maybe in 10 yrs or soemthing)

 
At 7/25/2006 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

believe me, if you liked lagoon, you'll adore disneyland. actually, let's make it our goal to save for disneyworld. floriduhhhhh. ;)

 
At 7/26/2006 1:51 PM, Blogger Oriental Lass said...

Hey Keshia,

you sound like you had alot of fun hiking although u are constantly 5 mins away from the peak. Say hi to everyone for me... erm everyone that knows me :P

 
At 8/10/2006 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

 
At 8/15/2006 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home